Tuesday 12 July 2011

Broken Bones, 'Beat It' & Backfists: A CHIKARA Love Affair

3.0 (Scott 'Jagged' Parker & 'Big Magic' Shane Matthews), a big help to my CHIKARA love.

In late 2007, a young man by the name of Colin Delaney appeared on an episode of WWE's version of ECW, getting his butt whooped around the ring by a personal favourite of mine, Shelton Benjamin. Two weeks later, the wrestler formerly known as King Mabel absolutely crushed the poor little boy from Rochester, New York. As more weeks went by, I started to take a liking the guy. He was one of us little people, and he was just trying to live the WWE dream. It was brilliant. Over 9 months went by with Delaney throwing his 1920's Irish boxer stance, and after few DDT's, a heel turn and then a 'best of luck' from the big wigs, he rode off towards the horizon. Sadly, I thought it was the last I'd ever see of the "Hardcore Underdog"...

Until, a good friend of mine by the name of Joesph 'Stardy' Best mentioned that he was appearing for an independent company in Philadelphia, that went by the name of CHIKARA. He linked me to their website, and then linked me to a bunch of videos (most of which are down now.) A fed full of guys that were like the small wrestlers I loved as kid? I fell head over heels instantly. The characters were funny and original, the wrestling was crisp and awe-inspiring, and it just felt like something different. Something that could speak to the child I still had deep in my soul, and the adult that I was becoming. Delaney showed that he could actually wrestle, and wasn't just the weaselly little kid that clung onto Tommy Dreamer.

I followed the results, watched promos and YouTube clips, like classic moments from 2.0 promos, or Chuck Taylor grenading anyone in sight. It took me until my 19th birthday to purchase my first CHIKARA DVD's. King of Trios 2009. And from then onwards, I became a junkie. A junkie for Mike Quackenbush and his amazing technical skills. A addict for the dastardly acts of F.I.S.T (Classic version, no guys from Cleveland). A fiend for Eddie Kingston. I can not say enough great things about "The Last of a Dying Breed". The man is golden. Cutting a promo, gold. Throwing suplexes and chopping down opponents in the ring, gold. Screaming like a madman on commentary whilst insulting Bryce Remsburg? GOLD. Then I started collecting. I actually began to really become a real mark for this company. Shane Matthews and Jagged walking down to the ring to the rhythm of 'Beat It' is just a sight to be seen and heard. I cheered on Ultramantis Black tearing it up on commentary and in the ring. I was hooked forever.

My version of a collection of crack pipes. Source: THIS GUY!

I'm a mark for this company. Big time. For those of you who have never seen a full CHIKARA DVD, you can find them at Smart Mark Video. I honestly recommend starting with any of the 'Best Of' collections, or any of the King of Trios tournaments, they are all brilliant. If you want wrestling that actually rewards you with smart storytelling and brilliant wrestling, then trust me, this is the company for you. It's damn sure the company for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment